Welcome!

IAHE Convention • March 28-29, 2014 • Indiana State Fairgrounds

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Curing Overwhelmed Home Schooling Parent Syndrome

Two years into our home schooling journey--I was wiped out. New baby, meeting needs of our variety of children, learning how to teach much less what to teach--all while still trying to be a good wife and keep the house going--it was overwhelming. I wasn't sure I could keep going, yet I was very sure God wanted this for our family. What could I do?

A friend encouraged me to attend the IAHE convention. She said it was the boost she needed every year. "But, I went before we started home schooling. I got absolutely overwhelmed by the curriculum hall!" I shared with her. She offered some strategies for attacking the curriculum hall, but then noted that shopping for curriculum was secondary to her. Attending the workshops was her first priority, and the support she needed.

Mike and I went. I got the boost I needed. We've attended nearly every year since--including the year the convention fell 5 days after a baby was born. It's become THAT important. Some benefits of attending:

Incredible speakers to inform and encourage--The year my friend talked me into trying the convention, Mike and I perused the schedule looking for the most relevant workshops. A few we wanted to hear occurred at the same time, so Mike attended one while I went to one featuring Inge Canon. She detailed the developmental stages of boys and how to teach to those stages. As my biggest challenges were in how to teach to my two boys--I went. The session took place just before lunch. I was so excited as I shared all I learned with my husband throughout our hurried lunch, he grabbed my program, marked out the other sessions we had planned to attend, and had me go to the rest of Mrs. Canon's sessions. It was eye opening and life changing. All these years later I still go back to what I learned from her.


The convention is packed with speakers--speakers who have faced many of the same challenges we do, who have sought God, and who will share the answers He's given them with us. Whether we learn something for the first time or are simply reminded of a truth we know but have stopped applying, the convention offers a great opportunity to be built up through the body of Christ.

Bonding with my spouse--When we entered the convention hall, the first thing that struck my husband and me? All the men. Mike went with me knowing how nervous I was and to support me. But, he really didn't expect a lot of other dads. To see so many couples working together on their children's training, that was inspiring. 

Because my husband had to work so hard to support our family, he couldn't be involved in much of the day-to-day school. But, attending the convention together gave us time to plan together the goals for the coming year. He heard the same encouragements and challenges I did and could  better affirm me in the process throughout the year. Plus, it was great to get away for a day together.

Professional development--Attending the convention reminds me that this is my vocation. By setting aside a weekend to pursue my own development as a teacher/mom/discipler--I pass on to my children the understanding that this is a serious focus of my life (not just something I'm tacking on) and that I will take time to become the best I can. More I have the chance to join with others and for sharing ideas and strategies which builds the whole home schooling community.

Curriculum--Yes, though overwhelming, I do use the resources of the curriculum hall to get my hands on options I'm considering. Just feeling a book, looking at the layout, and imagining how a particular approach might work in our home helps me shape the coming year. Deciding on a new book excites me (and our children) for all we get to do in the next stage. Even better, seeing the cons of a book I was considering and passing on it helps so much more than ordering something because it looked good online, then not using it.

The convention is coming. If you're feeling a little weary or overwhelmed, take advantage of all the resources pulled together specifically to encourage and inform you. Enjoy the camaraderie with other home schoolers. After 17 years, I still go. I still come away refreshed and ready for another year.

Tess Worrell writes and speaks to groups regarding issues of family life and living as a Godly woman. She and husband, Mike Worrell, live in Madison, Indiana, where they are in their 14th year of home schooling. She would love to hear your insights. Comment here or email her at tess@YourFamilyMatterstous.com. If you would like Tess to speak to your home school or church group, you can learn more about her speaking at YourFamilyMatterstous.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment