Welcome!

IAHE Convention • March 28-29, 2014 • Indiana State Fairgrounds

Saturday, September 15, 2012

What's right with this picture?

"Let us discern for ourselves what is right; let us learn together what is good." Job 34:4

Could there be any better mission for our home schooling endeavors?

To discern means to perceive or to recognize clearly. So, God, in this passage, urges us to to perceive or recognize clearly what is right, what is good.

I have to admit that sometimes, with all the information coming at us through our curriculum, I have trouble knowing just where to focus. Mike and I don't want our children just memorizing facts to get through a test. We want them learning--and for a purpose. But, sometimes even I can't figure out the purpose. This passage from Job helps.

Whether we are studying the history of an ancient tribe, a new Algebraic formula, or a language rule--I can ask my children, "From this information--what is right? What is good?" As I ask these questions, our children learn to train their brains to seek the right and the good in everything they encounter--whether it's a commercial, a reading book, or a position someone takes at church. 

We practiced this on a recent book we were assigned for reading. While the characters were entertaining and the story interesting, the children had a sense that something was not quite right. After reading a passage, my son voiced his concerns and we explored his sense of something being wrong. The two main characters (children) had discovered that a school custodian had kidnapped a friend. When the  children told their parents--parents didn't believe them. One character said, "I know we're not supposed to sneak out, but no one believes us. We have to do it to save Carrie." My son honed in on this scene to say, "I know that's not right, but what else could they do?"

That presented a perfect opportunity to explore other options--right options--the characters had available. More importantly, it affirmed my son's sense that, even with fun reading, we need to keep our sense of right engaged. We need to evaluate the messages we receive for whether they point to right and good, or to wrong and confusing. 

What is right? What is good? When we use these questions throughout our school days--we not only develop a real purpose for learning--every aspect of our day becomes another route for discovering the right and good of God, even in Algebraic formulas and language rules.

Tess Worrell writes and speaks to groups regarding issues of family life and living as a Godly woman. She and husband, Mike Worrell, live in Madison, Indiana, where they are in their 14th year of home schooling. She would love to hear your insights. Comment here or email her at tess@YourFamilyMatterstous.com. If you would like Tess to speak to your home school or church group, you can learn more about her speaking at YourFamilyMatterstous.com.

2 comments:

  1. This is what is known as critical thinking and it isn't being taught much anymore. Children are being taught instead to agree with the accepted norm - without being taught to carefully think for themselves and to discern (with God's help) what is really right. I was homeschooled and am so grateful for the hard work my parents put into teaching me how to think for myself and how to carefully discern what I was taking in - not just accept it because it was called 'Christian' or written by a well-known author, Christian or otherwise. It is my highest goal to pass on to my children the same ability as we homeschool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee, You are so right. Especially in saying that this takes a lot of effort. I too pray to pass on this ability and to keep it at the top of my mental agenda.

    ReplyDelete