Welcome!

IAHE Convention • March 28-29, 2014 • Indiana State Fairgrounds

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Careful Listening

"Therefore consider carefully how you listen. Whoever has will be given more; whoever does not have, even what he thinks he has will be taken from him. ( Or, in NLT) To those who listen to my teaching, more understanding will be given. But for those who are not listening, even what they think they understand will be taken from them. "  Luke 8:18

As I was reading my Bible the other night this verse jumped out at me. It has stayed with me for days. Do I listen carefully to God?

I know my heart is to follow God. I truly want my children to know God, to follow God, to become Godly. But, my children are learning, by watching me, how to go through their daily moments. Do they see me pause to listen to God, or do they see me merely acting on what I think I know?

Sometimes I get so very busy. You know what it's like--the books, the laundry, the meals, the tests. With three children asking for attention at the same time, the others ready to jump in, and the phone ringing--sometimes I find it hard to think about anything that's not right in front of me. The quiet voice of God gets lost. He's speaking--but am I listening?

Other times, I don't even have the excuse of busyness. I'm just so focused on telling God all about what I'm feeling or asking Him to give me what I need, that I fail to sit and listen.

I think I know what God wants from me as a wife. I think I know how to guide my children toward behaviors that honor God and away from those that cut them off from relationship with Him. I think I know what we need to cover in school.  But, God's word says that if I stop listening carefully to Him, even what I think I know will be taken from me.

I need to carefully listen. Because knowing if I'm listening well can be a little harder with God, I can practice on the people in my life--especially my family. Do I listen carefully to my husband? my children? my friends? my pastor? Do our interactions show I'm taking the time to listen carefully and respond well? If I develop this habit with the concrete people in front of me, I'm much more likely to engage with the invisible God in a listening mode.

I want, I need, God to fill me with His wisdom and guidance in this wifing/mothering/home schooling life. Jesus warns, "Then, you must consider carefully how you listen."

Tess Worrell writes and speaks to groups regarding issues of family life and living as a Godly woman. She and husband, Mike Worrell, live in Madison, Indiana, where they are in their 14th year of home schooling. She would love to hear your insights. Comment here or email her at tess@YourFamilyMatterstous.com. If you would like Tess to speak to your home school or church group, you can learn more about her speaking at YourFamilyMatterstous.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment