Welcome!

IAHE Convention • March 28-29, 2014 • Indiana State Fairgrounds

Saturday, November 17, 2012

What makes information stick?

Each evening, everyone around our dinner table shares the most interesting thing they learned that day. One night, for my turn, I shared my amazement that the Chinese had handguns and movable type for printing around 1000 A.D. What makes this so surprising? I've taught this same curriculum twice before. Why am I only getting this now?

This experience reminds me to be ever so patient with my children when they don't "get it." I've studied Ancient China three times--not only studied, but taught. Yet, I can read the very same books over and over still learning something new--still surprised by what I didn't notice before. Why then do I get so frustrated when my children can't repeat every detail of what we've studied?

For information to "stick," we have to have some life experience or interest to connect with the new information. Because our children's life experiences are so limited, a lot of information passes by them. That doesn't mean they aren't interested or aren't trying. It simply means they haven't got an experience to serve as a hook for hanging the information so that it sticks with them. Now that I've studied China enough to have a grasp on the big picture of China's history, I can add more details to fill in the picture--like the fact that they had movable type about 400 years before Gutenberg. To help my children develop these hooks, I need to remember to offer more than just information from books. I need to offer experiences that make the information stick.

How can we do this?

  • First, don't be afraid to repeat. Sometimes, I fall into the trap of thinking that covering everything in the books matters most. I'm learning different priorities. This year, as  we study the history of the countries in the 10/40 window and the efforts of missionaries to bring God's love to these people, I want to make sure my children gain a real heart for lost people. That can't happen if we skim over their history--as our curriculum often has us do. So, instead, we're choosing fewer countries and repeating, over and over, their basic facts. We're going in-depth on the elements for which my children's life experiences offer a hook--the games, food, clothing, and families of each country. The repetition and focus on common elements helps the children truly engage with the countries.
  • Second, incorporate hands-on activities to create life experiences. While I'm NO master, we are doing rudimentary lapbooks where the children record information, draw pictures, make maps of the countries. In doing these, the children get to put the history in their own words which has led to a lot more learning.  We've taken advantage of museum exhibits on certain countries to gain other insights. Balancing books with hands-on makes a huge difference in what the children actually learn.
Most importantly, I think I'm learning that learning is never a "once and done" endeavor. God's world is so complex and wondrous, there is always something new to discover. If I can move myself from wanting my children to "get" every fact and be able to pass tests with flying colors and instead simply hope that I awaken their desire to learn and give them the tools to do so, that would make a successful home school. More, it keeps the interesting discussions flowing around the dinner table as everyone shares their new discovery of the day.


Tess Worrell writes and speaks to groups regarding issues of family life and living as a Godly woman. She and husband, Mike Worrell, live in Madison, Indiana, where they are in their 14th year of home schooling. She would love to hear your insights. Comment here or email her at tess@YourFamilyMatterstous.com. If you would like Tess to speak to your home school or church group, you can learn more about her speaking at YourFamilyMatterstous.com.









No comments:

Post a Comment